Toys to keep your Border Collie Puppy Entertained
Border Collie puppies need toys to play with so they have their own things to chew and destroy. Border Collie puppies love to chew and, by having their own things to chew, they soon learn to leave your things alone...
Here is a list of toys to have for your Border Collie:
- Squeaky toys and anything that makes sound will be favourites of your Border Collie. Just make sure that if they chew them they do not swallow destroyed squeakers or pieces of the toy.
- Balls are another great toy for your Border Collie puppy. Big balls, small balls and soft and hard balls all give your Border Collie a different play experience.
- Soft toys are also good but give them to your Border Collie when it is out of the chewing destructive phase. Border Collies enjoy the feel of soft toys in their mouths.
- Tug toys will give you and your Border Collie complete enjoyment. There is nothing a Border Collie likes better than a good game of tug. Just make sure you are the one who starts and finishes the game, not your Border Collie. If you cannot control this game, it is best not to play it. If you lose the game, your Border Collie will start to see itself as more dominant than you.
- Treat toys such as the Kong are great as they are made from hard rubber and your Border Collie can spend hours extracting the food from it.
- Strong rubber toys with grooves and bumps are excellent for cleaning your Border Collie’s teeth.
- Get your Border Collie a Frisbee. These are fantastic fun and a source of much enjoyment for both of you. Just be aware that chasing a Frisbee can be dangerous if your Border Collie twists or lands in the wrong way. Make sure to keep your play sessions controlled and keep your throws low so your Border Collie does not have to jump high in the air to catch it.
- The best toy cannot be bought with money. The best toy for your Border Collie is you. No other toy can substitute for the fun and games you can provide your Border Collie just between the two of you, or with the family.
Where to get good Dog Toys on a Budget
There is no need to spend a lot of money on toys. Sure, you can spend a small fortune at the local pet store but when your Border Collie is still a puppy, it has an incredible natural ability for destruction. Here are some budget ways to give your Border Collie all the toys it needs and more:
- Try the cheap discount variety shops, they often have excellent chew toys for as little as $2 each.
- Visit garage sales and pick up old kids toys such as a football or soccer ball for your Border Collie, or a big stuffed animal. These are great and offer hours of entertainment, and you usually pay no more than a few dollars.
- Border Collie puppies love to rip and tear, give your Border Collie cardboard boxes and the end of the toilet roll cardboard to play with. It cannot harm your Border Collie, but your Border Collie may leave a trail of cardboard to clean up.